Cooking with Nomadica — Hot + Tangy Carrots
We've got another recipe from the illustrious Nic Vascocu, chef of LA-based popup, Smokin Hot Grandma. This one will pair delightfully with our Red Blend.
There is a famous chef that i would make fun of at one of my old restaurant jobs. i would do a bad nordic accent in a very flat tone and talk about vegetables in a heavily dramatic Herzog-like way. at the time i thought this personality took himself and, in particular, carrots far too seriously. i’m also a sucker for a cheap laugh - especially, from line cooks.
in retrospect, i’d like to walk this one back though, because, i suddenly get it. sorry, chef.
HOT + TANGY CARROTS
- 1.5 - 2 lbs young carrots sliced halved
- 3 tbls labne/skyr or greek yogurt - as long as it’s got tang
- 1 thinly serrano or other hot pepper
- 2 tbls lime pickle - you can find this at any South Asian market
- 2 pinches of Korean chili flakes
- fresh dill to taste
- chunky sea salt to finish
How to make it:
- slice the carrots lengthwise, don’t bother peeling.
- on a screaming hot grill, or under a broiler, give the carrots a good char - keep an eye on them, but don’t fuss over them. let the heat do its job - you neither want them to just get sweaty or burn up.
- smear the yogurt all over the plate then spoon small dabs of lime pickle on the yogurt.
- sprinkle a couple pinches of Korean chili flake all over.
- plate the carrots.
- sprinkle with dill, thinly sliced Serrano, + sea salt.